The meeting deals with “mapping the terms”. Each partner focuses on his/ her specialized literature
and tries to find out how the terms ‘(neo-)avant-garde’/ ‘experiment’ have been used in historical
overviews, theoretical literature, primary texts, literary essays and in reviews/ criticism. Important
- What are these terms associated with? This includes definitions, analyses, evaluations
(positive/ negative view on experiments), , …
- Who are these terms associated with? This includes authors, artists and movements. A
distinction between the author’s self-positioning and the position ascribed to them would be
- Are there terms (such as ‘play’) and genres (e.g. collage and prose poetry) which often coappear
with ‘(neo-)avant-garde’/ ‘experiment’?
Obviously, not all of these questions can be answered in a first meeting. We suggest a short exposé
of some 45 minutes for each group, followed by some 15 minutes for discussion. It would be nice if
the exposé contained a (canonized) overview of the neo-avant-garde tradition in your field.
- 1.00 pm: meeting the Paris Research Team
- 2.00 pm: two presentations on the usage of the terms neo-avant-garde/ experiment
- 10.00 am: two presentations on the usage of the terms neo-avant-garde/ experiment
- 1.00 pm: planning session: future topics and meetings